Christmas Recipe by Donna Crous
When used with a ready made puff pastry, this mincemeat makes the most delicious mince pies.
2 small Granny Smith apples, washed and grated (include the peel as it is really nutritious)
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large orange zest and juice (about 250ml of juice)
300g South African sultanas and or raisins
1-2 tbsp raw local honey
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbsp brandy (optional)
Cook’s tip: Add 200g crushed walnuts or pecans for a nutty crunchy taste.
- Heat a medium sized pot on the stove over a medium to high heat.
- Melt the coconut oil and fry the apples for a minute to soften.
- Add the orange zest and juice and mix well.
- Turn down the heat to low.
- Add the rest of the ingredients – except the brandy.
- Mix everything together, cover and leave to gently simmer for about 20-30 minutes.
- Stir once or twice, but not too often as the raisins can turn to a paste if overworked.
- It is ready when the raisins are plump and soft.
- Stir through the brandy, adding more if desired.
- Leave to cool, then store in a jar in the fridge.