Monthly Raisin Recipes by Sam Linsell
This is an easy roasted cauliflower hummus recipe with a delicious sultana and cashew nut topping that adds sweetness and crunch. Perfect to serve as an appetizer with your favourite bread to scoop it up.
1 small cauliflower (about 380-400gms when trimmed), cut into small florets
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 cloves garlic
Juice of a lemon
1 tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 Tbsp tahina
¼ tsp ground cumin
Salt & pepper
¼ cup golden sultanas
50gm roasted cashew nuts
1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
2 tsp olive oil
¼ cup reserved roasted cauliflower (optional)
To make the sultana garnish:
- First roast the cauliflower. This can be done in advance. Preheat the oven to 190C and toss the small cauliflower florets in the olive oil and scatter on a baking tray. If you ware wanting to use some of the roasted cauliflower as garnish, ensure there are a handful of very small florets. Season with salt & pepper and roast for about 20 – 25 minutes until golden.
- Bash the garlic cloves with the salt in a mortar & pestle and add the lemon juice and blend to combine. Allow this to infuse for around 10 – 20 minutes. Strain the juice from the garlic pushing all the liquids out and discard the solids reserve the juice.
- In the bowl of a food processor or power blender, add the chickpeas, the cooled roasted cauliflower, tahina, lemon juice, cumin, salt & pepper as well as about 4 Tbsp of water and blend until smooth. This may take a while depending how powerful your food processor is. Add a little more water if you feel it is too thick.
- Soak the ¼ cup sultanas. In boiling water for about 5 minutes to plump up. Strain and add to a small bowl with all the other ingredients.
- To serve, spread the hummus on a plate and scatter over the golden sultana and cashew nut topping & drizzle olive oil. Serve with bread.